Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pickled "hens"-Italian style, page 191

You should have seen my cousin's daughter's face when I told her about the pickles I just made. "Molly" I said. "I just made this jar of pickles. They are actually pickled mushrooms with peppers, onions, and anchovies."

Poor thing. She of course scrunched up her nose at the sound of the pickles, but then my tone was so excited and proud. You could see the turmoil on her face thinking the pickled wild mushrooms with anchovies sounded so bizzare (and likely nasty), but thinking she should compliment me on the dish I just made. I love to torture children!

I used the hen of the woods from Portland for the recipe and cut it down so I was just making 1/8 of the amount called for. I just didn't bring home enough mushrooms to cover the eight cups called for in this dish! One cup of mushrooms was enough to make one jar of pickled hens. These are supposed to rest in the fridge for a week before eating.

I should ask Molly over for dinner that night, don't you think? And speaking of dinner, what in the world is the best way to eat pickled mushrooms with anchovies? On a burger, straight up, on a ham sandwich? This is definitely new territory for me.

No comments: