Thursday, May 3, 2012

Smoked trout chowder, pages 102-103

Another smoked trout dish, this time a soup.

I kind of messed up this weekend. Forgetting that Fred was going to be out of town much of the time I asked him to smoke trout to use for the book. And, who wants to make all these fancy dishes when their husband isn't around? Not me.

So, we made the smokey trout pasta on the last night he was in town and I used the last of the smoked trout to make the chowder the next day.

The next day, however, was lacrosse practice so dinner needed to be OVER by 5 o'clock. And, to add to the ridiculousness of making smoked trout chowder on such a night Oliver was sent home from school with a fever.

O.K. One sick kid, one going to practice at five, no husband at home, . . . good night to try a new recipe? Really, this project seems a little ludicrous on nights like this!

The chowder was fine. I used mostly chicken stock like the recipe said, but I did have about a cup of that intense gelatin that is left in the pan when you bake a chicken so I used that as well. Turns out that made the soup so powerfully chickeny that the soup ended up tasting like chicken soup with some smokey trout chunks in it, which is a bit of an odd combo. Still, it was good enough, it was easy for Oliver to eat even with his (later to be found out) strep throat, and . . . it's one more recipe down the hatch! On nights like this one, that seems an accomplishment enough.

Should I take a moment to describe the chowder? It's full of potato, onion, celery and carrots that are partially pureed, along with said chicken broth, cream and spinach. Really, it's a fine soup. I did notice that my soup didn't turn out as pretty as the photo in the book. It's going to have to do, though.

No comments: