Monday, July 30, 2012

Fettuccine with chanterelles and smoked trout, page 182

Hey, here's a twisted silver lining about the drought. I've been worried about how in the world we'd find summer and fall mushrooms to use for recipes in the book. I've never seen them before, that I know of, and don't have any close friends or family who can identify these mushrooms, either. But, here the drought comes upon us making a perfect excuse for not finding these mushrooms. Knock, knock, Ann. There's no fungus in the woods! Duh on me. Fungus takes a certain amount of moisture to fruit and right now moisture is something we are very much lacking.

So, I feel relatively comfortable giving up on wild chanterelles and hen of the woods this summer, and substituting them with more exotic mushrooms I can find at the store. 
 
Last night we tried the pasta with chanterelles (substituting oyster mushrooms) with smoked trout. On the stove Fred smoked the trout that we caught earlier this spring. The mushrooms are sauted in olive oil and butter with herbs, then the trout, cream and lemon juice are added.

Bernadette (sorry for always repeating this but just in case you are new to the blog, Bernadette Dryden is the author of the recipe book we are working through) said in the book that she served the pasta with brushette. There's no recipe for the bruschette (toasted bread rubbed with garlic and olive oil and topped with fresh tomatoes and basil) , but I thought I'd give it a try, too. Unfortunately, we forgot to get bread at the store, and was too impatient to go back to the store, so I make bruschette with bagels. And, let me tell you what, that's mighty tasty, too.

This was yet another very fine dinner. I'm getting so spoiled using this recipe book.

No comments: