Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Morel Lover's Creamed Morels, pages 188-189

Dehydrated morels cooking in the water they were reconstituted in.
I bet the dish is best with dried mushrooms rather that fresh.
Tonight I made the last of the morel recipes with the last of the dried morels that our kind blog reader from St. Louis sent us. It's morels sauted with shallots in a cream  and marsala wine sauce, basically.

I'm shaking my head in astonishment trying to come up with words on how good this dish is, knowing that whatever I say won't begin to do justice to it.

How about this. Last Saturday while helping my friend sell cheese at the Farmer's Market, I fellow tried a sample and then exclaimed a religous expletive at how fantastic the cheese was. He didn't even realize what he'd shouted. Well, my reaction to this dish is kind of like that. You've got to make this recipe! You hear me out there? Do it! Do it! Do it!

The recipe calls for dish with good bread to soak up the sauce. I poached 1/2 a chicken and served that as well as wide, thick noodles to soak up the sauce. We had a lovely baguette from Uprise bakery and a tossed salad as well.

This is the sort of meal that you just can't get at a restuarant. The flavors were unbelievable. The richness of the cream sauce was cut by the cleanliness of the chicken and salad so you didn't feel too bogged down afterward. We ate and ate and ate 'til we couldn't eat no more (Henry had something like five servings, for exampe). This is the sort of meal that makes life rich.


Although poached chicken was excellent with the morel dish and noodles worked well to absorb the sauce, I think there could be other lovely combinations as well. Right now, though, I'm having a hard time convincing myself of that! It's going down as one of my favorite meals from the book.

The creamed morels are so yummy.  Make the dish for your self, your family, or your friends. Just make it. It's not a diffult or time consuming dish. And, you'll make someone's day.

Thanks again for the dried morels. We couldn't have done it without you!!

No comments: