Saturday, June 30, 2012

Oh, Nuts!

Earlier in the year I signed up to host my book club for June. But, man, was I not feeling well now. I went from thinking I could just make smoothies to thinking even that was too much work. How about a chocolate cake? That seemed like more that I wanted to take on as well. What's a person supposed to do in this situation? Call your momma of course. Mom suggested I just get in some cheese and crackers and call it good-no baking when you are sick and it's 100 outside. So, that's what I did. But, still, I wanted to make something for my friends. That's when I remembered the picante pecans out of the Cooking Wild in MO book. I've made them once and boy are they tasty. They mix up in a jiffy and you only have to run the oven for 5-8 minutes to bake them.

The pecans were the hit of the show. Several ladies asked for the recipe and the bowl of nuts was licked clean by the end of the evening.

I love these nuts. We used rosemary from our garden, and the fennel, lavendar, and red pepper we already had in. The little bit of maple syrup the recipe calls for we had in, too, from harvesting the sap this winter from our trees. And, the nuts were from the pecan orchard near Rockbridge Elementary school.

Yea. What a successful way to make something simple from wild ingredients to share with your friends. I didn't take a photo this time but you can see them on the 12/11/2012 blog post.

No comments: