Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Wild turkey fried rice, page 64-65 with spicy cucumber salad, page 65

This is the first of the three recipes in the book calling for wild turkey. Fred and Henry gave hunting a good try but had no luck, so a coworker of mine gave us a turkey breast from the turkey he killed this spring. Thanks again, Kevin. I can not believe how generous people have been about sharing their bounty with us. OK, there was the  stealing of our mushroom logs by the numskulls that justified their thievery by leaving half the logs. One cannot pretend that didn't happen. However, that was a ridiculous anomaly. The generosity of people has been much more constant and abundant. Thanks.

I'm counting on being able to use this one turkey breast for all three recipes. Within the next two days I plan on making the next two recipes.

Ironically all three turkey recipes call for already cooked wild turkey. But, how does one get there? I would think just baking a skinned wild turkey would result in a seriously dry bird. And, I'd rather be tarred and feathered than to mess up some one's hard earned, then gifted to us wild turkey. I mean, a person waits all year for spring turkey season, buys their hunting tags, scouts out a good place to hunt, pries their eyes open before the crack of dawn, has practiced the skill of calling and shooting enough to actually be successful and safe in the hunt, cleans and dresses the bird, labels it properly for transport, and ships it to me on ice.

So, what I end up doing is slicing off some small pieces of the meat and sauteed them in the bacon the recipe calls for anyway for the fried rice. I'll deal with how to cook the rest later I guess.

Other than that, the recipe went off without a hitch. I cooked the rice a day in advance and cooled it as Bernadette suggest so that the rice didn't go mushy when fried. We used eggs from our own chickens, which is always pleasant. Both kids loved the dish. Henry had fourths in fact. I particularly liked the spicy cucumber salad that is suggested to serve with the fried rice. I made the salad once before, in fact, but thought the paring sounded so good that I went ahead and made it again.

One turkey recipe down. Two to go. Next up: wild turkey and corn soup.

No comments: