Saturday, June 2, 2012

The world is always turning

When we were floating on the Current River this weekend, I asked Fred and the boys if they knew what the tall plant with white flowers was. Can you guess? It was elderberry. Elderberry is blooming right now. And you know the first thing we picked to start our year long Woods to Food project? Elderberries. Those white flowers are reminding us that the seasons are cycling back around to when we started, though we still have time left. Those flowers will continue to bloom for a while, then fade, then fruits will form and later ripen. And, that's when we will have been at this project for a year.

What have we left to do? There are summer and fall mushrooms to find and we're shaky on our ability to get those. Plus we'll need some rain, I'd think. There are blackberries and crawfish to harvest. Fred was asking me how we were going to get crawfish and I was hoping he was the one with the answer. There's walleye to catch. And, there are a few more squirrels to get. Wild blackerries and squirrel I'm confident about getting, the rest I'm tempted to buy and lie about. Or, maybe I could buy them and we could all write in made up stories about finding them in the wild.

One idea I did have, though, is that there's a beast feast gumbo recipe in the book we have not made yet and it makes a big batch of the stuff. Perhaps that could be our final recipe and we could celebrate with a Woods to Food finale party. Sounds like a plan to me. But, then again, I have lots of plans and only a dribble come to fruition.

No comments: