Thursday, June 28, 2012

Walleye encrusted with breadcrumbs and almonds, page 85

I was speaking with Kevin Lohraff, the gentleman who gave us the paddlefish and turkey, about the remaining wild ingredients we have left to find. You might recall that one of them is walleye. We went to Stockton Lake on my birthday in niave hopes of catching one and . . .well, didn't. But guess what Kevin said? He mentioned that at a certain time of year Hy-Vee carries wild, fresh walleye. So, down I went to fish department and sure enough there on the ice were large slabs of fish with a innocent little 'walleye' sign on them. Could it be this easy?

Then, I got sick. For several days I wanted to rally and go cook up that Hy-Vee walleye before it was too late, but I was feverish and couldn't stomach the thought of it. Slightly before I should have,  I went ahead and purchased the fish. I was still sick but got frustrated with the lack of progress on our project and afraid my chance to get walleye would allude me.

I say slightly before I should have, because my sense of taste was still affected by my cold, as was my energy level. Therefore I thought the recipe was . . . mild. But, Fred said the taste of mustard in the almond/breadcrumb topping was very strong. In fact, it was a bit too powerful for the boys and they had to take the crust off. I couldn't taste any mustard at all, which tells me I wasn't tasting up to snuff. So, I would take my review of this recipe with not just a grain of salt, but perhaps one of those funnily shaped salt barns. I really should have been making chicken noodle soup out of a can, not assembling an encrusted walleye dinner.

We did serve the walleye with boiled new potatoes and peas and a sauce of yogurt, dill and lemon. The dinner was pretty, I can say that for it. And, it was the first solid meal I'd made in several days so that was pleasant also.

Now the one walleye recipe is done and we are at least making forward progress again.

No comments: