Thursday, September 27, 2012

Clearance

When I first saw our boat setting on it's trailer outside of a condo in St. Charles, I thought, "Ann would love it, but it's too big to fit in the garage." But I took out my tape measure, and the notecard with my garage measurements, and measured every dimension very carefully. Twice.  This was a cash deal with someone 100 miles away who was going to vanish forever after I pulled out of the parking lot. I had to be sure. It would fit, but barely.

When I brought it home, it was love at first sight for Ann as I predicted, but she also said clearly it won't fit in the garage. Our truck just barely fits, she noted, and the boat is a lot bigger than the truck, much taller, for one thing. As the two sit hitched together in our driveway, it appeared obvious that she was right.

But I had measured carefully.

So after our initial unsuccessful test run, but before I shelled out the money for repairs at the marina, I wanted to make sure it would fit, because I've got nowhere to go with it besides my garage.

I backed it in - carefully. I unhooked it. I closed the door. It fit.


T
Trailer to garage door.

Back of boat to back wall.

Windshield to center I-beam.

Front, back and height have fractions of an inch to spare. I bungee cord in the guide-ons, and have a couple of inches extra for width when I back in.

As long as we live here, which may be rest of our lives, we will never upgrade to a bigger boat.


 

No comments: