Friday, September 28, 2012

The Low Down

I've never met Jim Low. This is unusual, because my wife has worked for the Missouri Department of Conservation for more than 15 years, and he's an MDC guy. It's even more unusual, because I've been working with Jim for longer than I've been married.

Jim writes news releases for the Missouri Department of Conservation, and does a fine job at it. I used many of his releases verbatium, or used them as background for a story I would write myself, in newspapers in Belle, St. Joe, Hannibal and Columbia. I worked with a lot of people in Jim's line of work, particularly in my job with the St. Joseph News-Press, and he was the best in the business. As equally valuable as his press releases was Jim's role as the go-to guy for information. He could always put me in touch with an expert source on anything related to Missouri outdoors.

Last night I started cooking "Jim Low's Beast Feast Gumbo." I like cooking things like stews, chilli, soups and gumbo, probably because they usually don't require a lot of precision. I think Jim's recipe fits that bill, as most of the ingredient list calls for items in quantities such as cups, quarts or pounds.

The recipe also calls for tasso. Being the outdoorsman that I am, I could have bagged a nice tasso last season, but I wasn't sure it met the minimum size requirements. Fortunately Ann followed the tips on page 77 and made a connection with an obscure meat dealer at the local career center, so we had tasso in the freezer ready to go, along with large andouille that would have been suitable for mounting.

The gumbo now rests in preparation for the exciting conclusion to our Woods to Food project.

 

No comments: