Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Bonny's Sweet Potato-Pecan Drop Biscuits, page 136

Here's a tradition that my momma started that I tend to do, too. I remember Mom looking at our dinner in the summer and listing all the things that they had grown in the garden. On a good evening we might have tomatoes, cucumbers, beets, green beans, something on that order.  I like to do that, too, only I tend to list all the things that have been raised or made locally, not just from the garden. And, tonight was a pretty good night.

We made sweet potato pecan biscuits from the cook book to start with. The sweet potatoes we grew in an old pig lot close to the  chicken house at my in-laws farm this summer along with a bunch of white potatoes. The pecans were from the orchard next to Rockbridge Elementary School here it town. My cousin and I shelled enough for the recipe this afternoon. And, the honey in the biscuits is from the nice couple with the end stall at the Columbia Farmer's Market that sell honey ice cream. With the biscuits I made pork sausage from a pig Fred's sister had butchered and shared with us. And, then in the salad there was dill and spinach from the farmer's market and tomatoes from the plants just outiside the kitchen.

It's a bit late and I may be getting a tad out on a limb here but it strikes me that all the little thoughts and stories with the ingredients of a dinner are like Picasso's theory on art. If I have it right, Picasso thought when you saw something, you actually saw more than your eyes were taking in at that instant. Your imagination folds in what you know to be part of that image but cannot see. For instance, his paintings would depict a head in which you could see both eyes, the face and part of the back of the head because in your mind you might see only the front of the head but imagine the rest of it, too. Anyway, our connection to the things in our dinner are kind of like that. We are seeing only dinner at first, but then I encourporate the stories about growing the sweet potatoes, and sharing the pork, and picking the late season tomatoes, etc. and that all wraps up into our thoughts about the meal, too.

Whatever, eh??? Anyhow, to put it more generically, I enjoy knowing where our food comes from. And, the biscuits were gobbled up by us all.

No comments: