Monday, November 28, 2011

Holiday bow ties with sun dried tomatoes and toasted pecans, page 140

The day after Thanksgiving we had family and friends back over for dinner. What to serve 18 folks for an impromtu meal? Let's check the book. There was one nut pasta dish I hadn't made yet and I wanted to dive back into our Woods To Food project since furious house renovation/holiday prep was behind us. So I made holiday bow ties with pecans and sun-dried tomatoes. Yet again, I've been saving this recipe back a bit. Somehow I wasn't jumping at the idea of tomatoes and nuts combined. But, hey, I didn't have time to thaw meat and we had most of the ingredients in, so this vegetarian recipe it was.
The dish is pretty simple-olive oil and sun-dried tomatoes, hard cheeses, pecans, garlic and salt served with pasta.
Yowsers, it's a better dish than it sounds, at least it was for me. The toasted pecans were somewhat lost in the rest of the sauce but definitely added a feeling of robust, substaintialness to the pasta. There's a lot of garlic in the recipe. For 18 people I made a triple batch and think that came to 12 cloves.
It seemed like the dish was enjoyed by all, well all except my nephew who is allergic to nuts and frustratedly asked me, "Who planned this meal?" when he realized there were nuts in the salad and in dessert as well. Oops. He had to suffer through pasta with cheese and some old key lime ice cream we scavenged from the freezer, left because none of the rest of us were what you'd call crazy about it.
But, besides him the dish got rave reviews and I'd have to agree. It's one I'll want to make a mental note to make again for sure.

No comments: