Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Braised rabbit with fire-roasted tomatoes on polenta, page 46


These dishes were made by my dear mother, Ruth Rebmann. She actually made them while Fred and I were at parent teacher conferences. I asked my mom to make dinner while we were gone. And I quote from my father about what my mother was thinking, or perhaps saying behind our backs, "Not only am I expected to catch up on their laundry . . ." So, as it turns out asking your mother to work on your hobbies is not oh-so-appreciated! Who knew?!

This dinner was more work than Mom usually puts into supper. And, that's saying something 'cause she's a really good cook. She was at the stove about 1 1/2 hours. And from the sound of her huffing when we came home, that was a bit too much. Another quote, this time from Mom, "Well, when you have to start off picking hair off a carcass . . . "! Yea, sorry again about that, Mom.

I was trying to get Mom to be a guest writer for this post, but that she drew the line at. Or as Dad put it "that is the final straw".

So, how about the dinner? It was quite good. We were all pleased with the taste of polenta, though apparently 45 minutes of stirring cornmeal porridge wasn't so great to do for my parents who were also watching my kids and keeping their new puppy from getting into trouble. I don't think I've ever made polenta before. Well, I guess I didn't make it this time, either, come to think of it. Hee Hee.

I would say of the two rabbit dishes in the book, perhaps the mustard dish is more distinctive-more unique - than this one. But, other than that I can offer no criticism of this dish. It was really tasty.

1 comment:

Jennifer Moody said...

That is always the worst part of cleaning wild game....getting all of those pesky hairs. And I always think that those that I leave on won't be that much trouble when I go to prepare it, but I am always mistaken!