Friday, February 10, 2012

Persimmon-gingerbread trifle, pages 168-169


Here's another kind of recipe I've never made-trifle. Trifle looks pretty, and I like the name (though I sometimes get it and tripe confused). But, then there's the three layer thing. That pretty much seems like three different recipes to make for one dessert. Plus, most trifle recipes make a big batch with layers of dry on top of soggy that doesn't sound like it would age well for the inevitable leftovers.   And, suddenly trifle doesn't seem worth it.

My cousin asked us over for the superbowl last weekend. This would be a great excuse to bring the persimmon gingerbread trifle. There's a lot of people so soggy leftovers shouldn't be a problem, it's a pretty big dessert which is good for a party, and making a triple recipe dessert doesn't sound as bad for a group as it does for just Fred and I (I already knew this was not a dessert the boys would care for).

I went ahead and got in the ingredients for the recipe, borrowed a trifle dish from a neighbor, then Fred called Laurie to tell her we were bringing it but before he could she said I didn't need to bring dessert because she was making  . . . trifle! Man, what are the chances of two trifles at one superbowl party? Pretty slim, I'd say.

So, I nixed the trifle recipe for that night but needed to make it soon since I had all the dairy ingredients in for it. Later in the week when I found out a work meeting was going to be a take-a-dish, so I took that opportunity to finally make the trifle.

The bottom layer is home made gingerbread, the middle layer is a persimmon mouse with gelatin, spices, buttermilk and whipped cream,  and the top layer is chantilly cream.

Hello? I'm tapping on the glass of your computer screen right now. Hello? Can you hear me? Please take note of what I'm about to say . . .

THIS HERE RECIPE IS TOTALLY AWESOME.

Did you get the message? I hope so. This is no soggy, mild puddle of a trifle. This is moist full flavored gingerbread with a sweet, aromatic persimmon mouse under billows of chantilly cream. I am fully ready to make this recipe next fall and the falls to come when persimmons are ripe and enjoy the bounty our Missouri woods have to offer. Yum, yum, yum.

Thank you, Bernadette (author of Cooking Wild in Missouri) for introducing this trifle into our lives.

No comments: