Friday, February 3, 2012

Venison sausage frittata, page 34

frittata is a sizzling as it cooks
Do you know, I’ve heard of frittatas for years but don’t think I’ve ever either eaten or made one. I was looking forward to making this deer sausage frittata for that reason. But, then again I’m not deer sausage’s biggest fan, and cooking with it seems slightly less appetizing than eating it cold ‘as God intended’ so the recipe was conflicting to me. Also, on the not-so-excited-about-making-the-recipe side was the fact that I had a feeling it wasn’t going to be a favorite with the boys as they are a bit picky about the way they like their eggs. And, to top it off, we raise our own eggs and get not nearly as many in the winter as summer (we only have 3 chickens laying right now) so I’m a bit stingy when it comes to egg use this time of year. And, one more to-top-it-off point, we didn’t have any of our deer made into deer sausage so we were going to have to go a-beggin’ for some.

No wonder this is the last venison recipe in the book for us to try. Did you hear that? We just made the LAST VENISON RECIPE. That seems like some sort of milestone.
Finished product
Anyway, frittata, frittata, frittata. I like saying the name. The sausage we got from Fred’s coworker Christa who generously gave us a large piece to use (thanks Christa, if you are out there). This recipe has not only deer sausage, but quite a few greens (we used spinach), asparagus, onion, parmesan, and herbs, too, besides the obvious eggs. I’m supposing all frittatas are made with the same technique: you swish everything together, poor into a hot pan that is coated with butter, cook until the bottom and sides are done, then broil to finish off the top and make it look pretty.
The frittata turned out great! It slid right out of the pan like it was supposed to and was full flavored and pretty on the eyes as well. Fred and I loved it. The boys, as expected, were mild on it, but oh, well, that happens sometimes.
I thought afterward about what else would make a good frittata. Is there a standard ingredient list? Come to think of it, I really don’t know. The boys thought a blueberry frittata would be good: not so sure about that. It seems like seafood and mushroom would be nice, though. I’d like to try ingredients that pulled the frittata away from seeming like another version on an omelet, however such as ham and cheddar or sausage and green pepper. It seems like a frittata ought to have it’s own unique flavors.
You know what does work well in a frittata? Deer sausage! Who knew. The heating process dried the meat our a bit which made it more appetizing to me. I would like to make another frittata just like this one again, in fact.
Successful recipe. Yippee. So, we’re done with the venison section. What comes next?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mama reads your blog to me. You write so naturally it sounds like you're right here. Dad