Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Cracking the Books

We have challenges before us. We’ve nearly exhausted all the ingredients for our Cooking Wild in Missouri recipes, but with spring comes opportunity. There are four ingredients that will be fair game in the month of March, each presents its own challenges.

1.       Walleye: I don’t think I’ve ever seen one. When I ask fishermen about walleye, they usually reply. “Sure. I love walleye. They’re the best. I’ve caught lots of them. In Canada.” Not helpful.  According to the MDC website, they are stocked in our big Missouri lakes, and the best time to catch them is when they are spawning. This happens when the water temperature hits 45 degrees. I’m guessing that’s sometime around now.

2.       Spoonbill: I’ve only seen in captivity. Ann might have a connection with a coworker who will take us snagging. The season is March 15 – April 30. It’s high time to get this on the calendar.

3.       Trout- Season opened March 1. Missouri has five trout parks, and we're looking forward to visiting one or two of them. The first challenge will be working the trip into our busy schedule. The second challenge will be coaxing a trout onto a hook. I’ve been trout fishing one time, with my now former brother-in-law. He told me exactly what to do, and I caught two trout. That was 23 years ago, and I don’t remember a thing.

4.       Turkey: I’ve killed turkeys before, but I can’t necessarily kill one on demand. As I look at my schedule for the month of April, my opportunity for turkey hunting can be measured in hours rather than days. It’s probably been 20 years since I’ve even attempted to call in a turkey.
For the Walleye and the Spoonbill I’m desperately going to need a mentor, no question about it. For the trout and turkey, I may be on my own. But as long as I have my library card, I’m never really alone.

In rural Missouri Columbia has a reputation for being of town of hippies, beatniks and academics, but the public library doesn’t buy into this stereotype. They have more books on turkey hunting than one man can carry. And they have more books on trout fishing than they do on turkey hunting. I grabbed a small selection of both. Once I’ve absorbed the knowledge in these outdoorsmen’s opuses, I should be qualified for a few hours of graduate credit in fisheries and wildlife, and the know-how it takes to bring home supper. The poor trout and turkeys barely stand a chance.

3 comments:

Jennifer Moody said...

Laura might be willing to go trout fishing with you. Surely you have some friends from your hometown that would help with the snagging of spoonbill. It use to be a big deal...I am assuming it still is for some.

abb said...

Talk to someone from Chicago - the Great Lakes are full on Walleye. Maybe you could get them by mail order?? (They're delicious!)

abb said...

are full OF...oops