Friday, March 30, 2012

Discerning My Call


I’ve set aside the trout fishing books for a bit to focus on turkey hunting. I had a work conference in Dallas, so prior to leaving I went back to Bass Pro for a turkey call.

The selection was tremendous. An employee was walking by, so I asked him for so advice. He knew his calls, knew the caller-makers who split off from one business to start another, what the calls do and how they are different. There were still a baffling number of choices, but I had one thing in mind: I wanted a CD. I had a two-hour drive to Kansas City International coming up, and I wanted to use that time to hone my skills. Sure enough, there were two different kits that had a few calls and a how to CD. I picked one and put it in the car.

People who passed me in the car may have wondered why I was sitting there saying “Puck, puck , puck, chalk, chalk,” over and over, but I did said those words, and a few other, for the entire two hour drive. I had to explain to the TSA agent at the airport what the turkey call in my pocket was. I considered practicing on the flight, but opted to spare my fellow passengers the experience of flying with a turkey.

I did resume calling practice with the CD on the drive home, and on the drive to the farm the following day. My confidence is higher than when I started, and I think I can call at least as well as I was calling with a box call, back when I was hunting more. This weekend I’m going to put it into practice, as I take Henry on his first youth turkey hunt.

No comments: