Thursday, March 22, 2012

Hunting fer 'shrooms

Is it time, yet? Has anybody been finding morels yet? By the date it seems early. But, by the weather it seems high time. Yet, what do I know. I haven't found more than a dozen or two morels in my life.

I did go on a mushroom hunting expotition (to quote Pooh) this afternoon. It was lovely to get out. Although I didn't find morels, I did find a couple of what I think are Dryad's Saddle. In Missouri's mushroom book, it says Dryad's saddle smells like watermelon rinds, and so do mine. So, I'm relatively comfortable that I made the right id. After all how many kinds of mushrooms can you desribe as smelling like mushroom rinds? Personally, my list is pretty short.

The boys and I spent about six minutes yesterday looking for morels. The spot I picked was infested with honey suckle making it dern near impossible to see anything on the ground. And, six minutes in to that the boys found a poison ivy vine to grab. So home we went to get washed up.
Henry's last batch of poison ivy

3 comments:

Jennifer Moody said...

My dad found exactly three small morels yesterday in Paydown. The biggest was probably and inch and a half tall. We have however, dined on red mushrooms (do they have a real name?) several times now! Just as tasty in my book and it takes less to make a mess!

Fred and Ann Koenig said...

Good to know!

And, it turns out that mushrooms that smell like watermelon rind also taste like watermelon rind. Who would have thunk!

Jennifer Moody said...

I am not a watermelon fan, so I will remember that.

Hope Henry's poison ivy is better!