Sunday, December 11, 2011

Craig's Picante Pecans, page 141


Spice mix for the pecans

I made an appetizery dinner this week for some folks and used a couple recipes out of the book. It was quite fun because a couple of the people we had over are from Australia. I love the idea of serving wild foods to them. If I were in Australia I would be thrilled with having some home cooked dishes from wild foods-talk about getting to know a place!

One of the dishes I made was spicy pecans. The nuts are from the orchard here in Columbia. A duck hunter told Fred that he knows of several wild pecan trees growing at Overton Bottoms Conservation Area which is west of Columbia just on the other side of the Missouri River. It would be interesting to pick our own next year.
I was leary of usig lavender buds, which is one of the herbs in the recipe. I think of lavender as incense and therefore it is not appetizing. But, by this time I'd have to be dense to not trust the cookbook and at least give it a try. 
I've made candied pecans once before by winging it and they turned out a mess. At the time I was guessing the crunchy foamy coating on candied pecans must come from whipped egg whites, so I foamed up some, dipped the pecans in them, and baked them with some other ingredients. They turned out soggy and much like chicken food.
The spicy pecan recipe from the book, however, used butter, maple syrup and spices and turned out  rich and meaty and flavorful. I'd recommend them for sure. I served the left over nuts at brunch on the weekend and that was nice, too.

No comments: