Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Jim Low's Mallard Satay with Thai peanut dipping sauce, page 61

We've now had wild duck cassoulet (which one could call bits of duck hidden in a bean and sausage casserole) and duck rumaki (which one could call soaked duck wrapped in much bacon).

What we haven't had was straight up duck. You know, an actual piece of meat, naked, staring up at you, with no bacon, sausage or whatever to hide behind. And, I was beginning to think there was a reason for that. A reason like "plain old wild duck is too nasty to eat alone", for instance.

I had one more package of duck in the freezer from Fred's hunting expedition and a couple more recipes to choose from. I bought ingredients for mallard stew but got out of the mood for another tomato based wet dinner, so I shifted gear to the duck satay recipe.

BUT, satay is basically meat of a stick, like fair food only with a bit more spice. And, that stick wasn't going to do much hiding for the duck meat. How was straight up duck going to be?

I used the last four ducks for this recipe since that's what it calls for, feeling guilty that I might waste quite a bit. The meat is marinaded in wine, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and lime, then skewered and grilled. OK, in the recipe book the cool people grill over charcoal with soaked sassafras wood on top. Whatever. I didn't get to that.

Then, there's a Thai peanut dipping sauce to make. I loves me some good Thai food and was excited about the hopes of making a good peanut sauce.

Anyhow, we kept checking the duck satay with a flashlight on the grill. I didn't want to overcook and ruin the meat (hey, let's at least give the recipe a chance) but the duck wasn't browning much it didn't seem like. I guess that's because it's so lean. We made a guess that they were done and brought them in.

Fast forward to the end of the meal. Bamboo skewers are littering the table. Four are by my plate. About half a dozen are strewn around each of the boys and Fred's plates. The platter is bare.

So, this recipe proves it. Duck on a stick with no bacon or anything else to cover with . . . can be yummy.  

No comments: