Sunday, December 4, 2011

Lacy Spice Wafers, page 133


This is one of a couple recipes in the book that don't have anything wild in them, but are in the book anyway because they go with a wild dish. The lacy spice wafers are to accompany the black walnut gelato, only I didn't get them made on the same night.
Oh my stars, this is DEFINITELY A RECIPE TO TRY! Do you hear me?! I mean every capital letter in that statement. Get out your book, (if you don't have a copy yet, it's worth it for this recipe alone, I'm not exaggerating) open it to page 133, make these quick wafers, and thank Bernadette, Cooking Wild in Missouri's author, for bringing you a little bit of heaven.
I've never made a wafer before but had a sneaky suspicion they were going to be tasty. The batter is made in a saucepan, poored into puddles on a cbokie sheet, and baked until bubbly. Then, they are scooped off the tray and can be formed into shapes as they cool and crisp up (in the photo above I'm drapping them over a rolling pin to form a rounded shape). They go oh so nicely with ice cream and I imagine custard or perhaps pudding, also.
We served them to some friends for dessert and both kids and adults went for them, for sure. 

No comments: