Friday, January 20, 2012

Jewell McConnell’s persimmon pie, pages 164-165

Persimmon pie. Hmmm. I once had a slice of raisin pie and still remember the traumatic experience of disappointment mixed with trying to choke the thing down. Persimmon pie sounded similar: too heavy and rich. But, I hadn’t taken the time to read the recipe. I was picturing a two crust pie filled with persimmon pulp. Intimidating.  Upon closer inspection (i.e. after realizing it would be best not to wait until the end of the year to make the recipes that sounded the least good to me) I realized this was going to be more like a custardy pumpkin pie than a fruit pie.

Persimmon pie just before it's baked. Recipe called for pats of
of butter on top. They make funny divots in the baked pie.
Wouldn't do that again. This pie needs all the aesthetic help
it can get.
The persimmons I froze this fall after picking them from the back of my brother-in-laws truck from about the only persimmon tree that bared this year, it seemed to me. The recipe calls for 2 cups whole persimmons. I had already deseeded and skinned mine and froze the pulp. Since 3 pounds of persimmons make 1 pound of pulp, I guestimated I needed 2/3 cup for the recipe.
For the crust, I made my mother’s recipe ,which I love.

2 c flour, sifted. Add ¾ tsp salt. Mix. Add between 1/3 and ½ c vegetable oil. Mix. Add 4-5 tbsp cold water. Stir barely with a fork.
This makes, in my opinion, awesome pie crust.

Anyway, the pie filling is buttermilk, persimmon, a bit of sugar, egg, spices and what not.
There isn’t a picture of the pie in the book. Mine came out not as smooth and consistent as a pumpkin pie, and more brown.

But the taste was once again better than I thought it would be. I reminds me of spice cake, but in pie form. Or like a wild cousin to pumpkin pie. And, whipped cream on top is a must both to make the pie a bit prettier, and to help give it a smooth feel. We brought it to our friend's house for dessert and enjoyed sharing it-both the taste and the experience of trying a Missouri persimmon pie!

Finished product, butter divots and all
I NEVER thought I’d want to make this recipe again, but now am hoping to. I can picture looking forward to persimmon pie in the fall. I’ve never heard of anyone making it before and feel like it would be a novel treat.

And, who knew leftover persimmon pie would make for a great breakfast!!!

No comments: