Sunday, January 15, 2012

Status Review

Want to see a status review of how far we’ve come and how far we’ve got to go on our journey to hunt, gather and cook our way through Cooking Wild in Missouri? I do.
The photos in this post are of the recipe index in the book. A check is placed by the recipes we have made.
What I found interesting:
1.       We’ve go a long way to go! It seems like I’ve been cooking up a storm out of the book. When I look at all the recipes without checks next to them, it opens my eyes to all we have to go.
2.       If you don’t have the book, you might find the index interesting. As you can see, there are a lot of recipes, and they are kind of all over the board as far as cuisine goes.
3.       We have been pretty thorough with making recipes that we have been able to hunt and gather ingredients for. The check marks are definitely in bundles—either we harvested the wild ingredient and pretty much exhausted the recipes that include it, or we haven’t been able to get the wild ingredient yet.
4.       There are a lot of wild mushroom recipes and we kind of stink at mushroom hunting. That will be interesting in the spring, summer and fall. Oh, well. Nothing to do about that right now.
5.       We started this project in August and are therefore about ½ way through the year. I’d say we’re pretty much on target being half way done with the recipes. But, I’m wondering if we are leaving some of the harder things to harvest in the wild for the last. Fred has experience deer hunting, for example, but I’m not sure about walleye, paddlefish, and all those mushrooms. On the other hand, he got the duck hunting figured out, and that was sure a challenge.
 


2 comments:

Josh and Jenn said...

WOW! I was just wondering how much work you guys had left. Good luck with the rest!

Fred and Ann Koenig said...

Thanks. I really didn't know how we were doing either until I checked off all the recipes we had make. Then in sunk in how much we have to go! Zoinks!