Saturday, January 7, 2012

Mallard stew with tomato and eggplant, pages 62-63

It's a Cooking Wild in Missouri marathon! Four recipes in two days is what we are attempting.

Tumeric, paprika, fennel, cumin, coriander and salt
The first I made was a duck dish. The 2 mallards, one pintail duck and one teal were all given to us by Fred's new duck hunting companion Bill Ward. Duck hunting season is closed for the year now and we had run out.  First impression I had of the ducks: that Bill Ward is a neat and tidy duck butcher. Thank you! I now know that it's not easy to keep the feathers from sticking to the meat and cutting out the meat in nice, big pieces. It's an art form, really, and I guess Bill has had enough practice to get that art form down. However, even the label on the zip lock bag from Bill looked like it was written by an architect, those perfect capital letters all even and easy to read. Not only has Bill had practice, I'm guessing from his hand writting that he is naturally inclined to do tidy work.

Anyway with Bill's duck I made a stew. It's a Moroccan dish again with lots of spices, onion, tomato and lemon. The dish is served over rice with cilantro and toasted almonds tossed on top.

Fred has been craving spicy food the last couple days and this so hit the spot for him. He was really looking forward to dinner as it was cooking and bragged on it several times during the meal. The duck breasts are cooked whole in the stew, so each person got a large piece of duck to try. I was afraid it would be too "ducky" for the boys to enjoy, but Oliver ate a whole breast and Henry had one plus.

I like it when people come in to the kitchen and light up at the aromas. And, let me tell you it's tons better that seeing a kid peer over the stove with a tear in their eye or hearing, "There's a lot of garlic in this recipe again, eh?"

Watching my family enjoy a meal is quite simply one of my very favorite past times.
Thanks for sharing the duck, Bill.


No comments: