Thursday, April 12, 2012

Micheal's Nappa cabbage slaw with green apples, page 105

Time is squeezed right now. Lacrosse practice twice a week, dog obedience classes, weekend trips, etc. I did fit in this slaw recipe, which is suggested as an alternative to salad with the I-can't-wait-to-make-these crab cakes made from trout.

This has been our last two weeks: Sunday-adopt dog (has yet to be determined if this was a rash, idiotic choice or a stroke of genius). Monday 2 hours of Lacrosse, Wednesday 2 hours of Lacrosse, Thursday dog obedience school orientation and setting up for a garage sale that Fred's sister had at our house, Friday garage sale and parents and sister and family come in from out of town for the weekend. Saturday family at house, Sunday Easter with 18 and new dog plus guest dog at our house. Monday Lacrosse, Tuesday dog obedience school, Wednesday Lacrosse, OMG. I'm tired of running. We had chicken pot pie tonight using left overs from Easter. It felt so good to calm the heck down and have a normal evening.

I know I have those trout in the freezer and they are calling to me to cook, but the darn things are too precious to throw at a meal when things are so hectic. BLTs and burgers work well for 'I know it's only 4:30 but if we don't eat now, I'll have to serve you dinner in bed' nights.

Fred and I have been looking for morels still some, to no avail. My sister and I decided we'd just buy them at the farmer's market. There was a fellow selling them and a line of folks to take the morels off his hands. But, DUDE, he wanted $50 bucks per pound. Ouch. I'm stuck because I'll in no way pay that much for them, but then again can't find them and certainly wouldn't even know what I'd charge for them if I did find some, but it would be over $50.

No comments: