Monday, August 20, 2012

Barley and blewit salad, page 190

Ann here:

We used up all the chanterelles from the Waldport, Oregon farmer's market in the two recipes we made out there. But, I still had my woods to food thinking cap on during the finale of out trip. Fred came back from Oregon with the boys and I stayed in Portland a few more days for a conference. What I was hoping was that I could catch a Portland farmer's market on my last day, find someone selling wild mushrooms, and be able to bring them back with me on the plane. And, guess what? The far fetched plan worked like a dream. I took the city train  into the heart of Portland on my last day, found a farmer's market, one person was selling mushrooms, and I was able to buy a couple of pounds of chanterelles and hen of the woods. Wahoo! I spent the rest of the evening buying souvenirs with my bag full of mushrooms, a little worried about how in the world I was going to carry them home with the 84 other pounds of luggage I had to struggle with. Uncomfortably, I guessed. I didn't have any sort of hard-sided container to put the fragile 'shrooms in, so crushing and bruising them was a real possibility. And, my already full checked bag had to fit the gifts I'd bought plus a new tree climbing saddle, which is a bit heavy and bulky.

Anyway, I slipped the mushrooms in the fridge in the hotel, woke at 3:20 a.m. for my flight home, hoisted up the mound of carry on and check bags I had to get home, tucked the mushrooms in a shopping bag and was off!

Fourteen hours later, I was dropped of at home with all my luggage . . . and a bag of nearly bruise free mushrooms. I did it!

Cooking Wild in Missouri, here I come!

The first of the recipes I tried with our contraband mushrooms (OK, I'm jazzing up reality here a bit with likening the purchase of farmer's market mushrooms with contraband. My life is really so very legal. Please forgive me.) was barley and blewit salad. No blewit mushrooms so we substituted hen of the woods. We had my cousin and family over for dinner and boy did that feel great. It's no nice to get back together with friends and family! The recipe calls for tamari. Had to call my momma on that one and ask her if she knew what in the world that was. I didn't even know what part of the store to look in. Apparently tamari is similar to but more intense than soy sauce. Who knew? Apparently my cousins did, actually, because when they came over Ben knew exactly how much it cost at other stores in town.

Anyhow, the mushrooms are sauted, then mixed with baked barley, and a sauce of garlic, mustard, tamari, vinegar and olive oil, kind of like a pasta salad. Then, you mix in greens, herbs and sunflower seeds. We served the dish with corn and grilled chicken. I really enjoyed it. It's a robust, salt of the earth sort of grain and green salad. I'd make it again.

Next up, 'shrooms with pasta. I've got to make these recipes in rapid fire succession before they turn!

No comments: