Friday, August 31, 2012

Dave Urich's fried catfish, page 93

Henry, our 11 year old, thought this recipe was kind of a crack up. He is so used to the more gourmet, exotic dishes in the book, that a mess of fried catfish just seemed hilarious.

Here's the four ingredients listed for the recipe:

"a mess of catfish, yellow mustard for coating, yellow corn meal for rolling, peanut oil for frying".

That just about sums it up.

I used a dijon mustard because I didn't think Fred was too crazy about the canary yellow variety. I was a little sparing with using it, too, apparently. I used a tablespoon or two to coat 1/2 the fish and thought any more might be overpowering. The other half of the fish I did not coat in mustard at all for Oliver and anyone else who might find the mustard too much.

Turns out the mustard flavor really goes away in the frying process because not one of us could taste mustard in any of the pieces we had. Who knew?

We are really whittling away at the recipes now. According to my records, we have one squirrel, one blackberry and two crawdad recipes left and then a few straggler recipes that I don't quite know what to do with like a mustard recipe and such. Plus, I've got to try those anchovy mushroom pickles in the fridge that I made but haven't taken the opportunity to try.
What my camera was used for last night besides photographing catfish nuggets! Ah,  boys.

No comments: