Friday, October 28, 2011

Cioppino, page 84

I gots one thing to say tonight. Well, one thing to say emphatically. I love this book! I LOVE COOKING WILD IN MISSOURI !

Tonight my folks came up and I made cioppino out of the book for dinner . It's a spicy seafood/wine/tomato stew using bass, shrimp and mussels in this case. The bass were from our fishing expotition this weekend.

Isn't it so fun to make a meal that people really enjoy? That is surely what took place with the cioppino. Apparently, cioppino was created in San Franscisco pre-WW II by Italian and Portuquese immigrants.  My parents, as luck would have it, love cioppino. Me, I'd never heard of it before. For my parents, who were familiar with the history of the dish, dinner gave them the sense of being in San Francisco at some marvelous restuarant by the ocean. They've attempted cioppino before and thought this recipe rivaled any they've tried. They adored the dinner and couldn't rave on it enough. Weeee.

Which brings me back to how much I like this recipe book. Not only is it encouraging Fred, the boys and me to get outside to hunt and gather more, the actual recipes are introducing us to some really wonderful foods that we haven't been exposed to. And, the recipes are pretty simple, too. They mostly are the kind of thing a person can make as a week day meal without being sorry!

Speaking of having a good night, how about those Cardinals?! Cioppino for dinner, then building a big fire in the fireplace and watching a game like that. Wowee. Can't offer better than that for our dinner guests, die hard Cardinals fans that they are. We are going into game #7 tonight. Hmm. No dinner plans yet. But, whatever it is, I'm pretty sure dinner is going to be secondary to el gamo.


No comments: