Friday, October 7, 2011

Get to Crackin'

Hey, everybody. Guess what. I've been given a a bag of hickory nuts. Can you believe that! What  a great email it was to recieve a message that a coworker of mine and his wife had been to the pecan festival in Brunswick and ran across a fellow selling hickory nuts. My coworker's  wife apparently is following the blog and knew we were having a hard time finding hickory nuts  so she bought a bag of them for me. How cool is that? Muchos thank yous, Diane. And, these are not just any hickory nuts. They are from the coveted shellbark hickory, the ones I told you about in an earlier post that make larger nuts than other kinds of hickories in Missouri. I feel like what Julie in the Julie/Julia Project must have felt like when her fans started sending her money to help  her pay for the expensive ingredients found in  Mastering the Art of French Cooking.
I spent about a half hour cracking the nuts. And, I'm up to about 2 tablespoons of nut meats. Clearly, I'm going to need to take a lesson of work efficiency, here. They are such a prize possesion to me now that I can't bear to waste any speck of nut meat. How am I ever going to be able to happily to dump handfuls of them into a recipe? It's a bit unfair for any recipe to have to be worth all that. Except that cracking nuts is a perversely satisfying task, like what knitting must seem like (not that I'd know, haven't ever really tried knitting much). The monotony and detail work is  . . . almost meditative. So, I'll be meditating away on this lovely Friday night cracking and picking away at my hickory nuts.  

6 comments:

Sonja König said...

Never seen those before! The look great and so big. Must have a great taste! Sonja König aus München!

abb said...

I remember picking them as a kid. Hard going! My grandma made the BEST hickory hut cookies ever! Don't know if anyone of us has her recipe.

Fred and Ann Koenig said...

Carya laciniosa is the scientific name for shell bark hickory. It grows in wet woodlands. It has 7-9 leaflets.
Good to hear from you, Sonja. And, my what a lovely last name you have.
My husband's family came from Germany 126 years ago, settled on a farm in mid-Missouri, and the Koenig's have been there ever since.

Fred and Ann Koenig said...

Upcoming hickory nut dishes include salad, pasta and cookies!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the blog Ann and Fred!

Jack and Sam spent an entire afternoon at the cabin cracking hickory nuts, harvesting the meat and roasting them on the stove....all total we got about 1/3 Cup! They were delicious though.

Susan

Fred and Ann Koenig said...

Good to hear from you, Susan, and glad you're enjoying the blog. I can just picture your kiddos focusing on harvesting hickory nuts. I'm so glad they got the experience.