Sunday, October 2, 2011

Venison Moussaka, page 28-29


Well, believe it or not I got my way! Turns out my sister Tracey had to work this afternoon leaving the cooking to me. Raid the fridge, kids! And, grab the venison from the freezer while you're at it.
We came back from the zoo at 4:00 and decided to make venison moussaka. Fred starting cooking while my brother-in-law and I ran to the store for further ingredients. There's a meat sauce to make, a white sauce, eggplant to broil, veggies to saute, layer them together with cheese and bread crumbs and into the oven it goes. Man, it's almost 8 p.m. now and we're all looking forward to this dinner.
O.K. I'm back from the feast. Wow. That was satisfying. What a great recipe. Tracey describes the dish as gentle, a greek version of comfort food, deeply nourishing . . . and a bit time consuming. This is a company dish. Also, Tracey prefers venson that is cooked by dry methods rather than cooked wet, so she was pleasantly surprised. 
Really, I wouldn't look any further for a moussaka recipe. Venison or not, this is the one. And, Fred thought it would make a great dish to serve someone who hadn't had venison before.
What a great day it's been. A trip to the zoo on a warm fall day, kids playing with their cousins, some good finds at a garage  sale (I got to spill it, I got an antique umbrella and a sculpture of an ibis)  and time with my sister. And to finish up the day, making a successful dinner from our Woods to Food project.  'Dats what I call a good Saturday. 

No comments: