Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Trout and Sprout Salad, page 108

For lunch today I used leftover trout to try the trout and sprout salad and am happy to say that I can offer the recipe on this one because MDC has it published, along with about three other recipes from the Cooking Wild in Missouri book, on their web site. Actually this is one of the loosest recipes in the book in that it doesn't call for exact amouts of this and that. For a salad, that's fine by me. It's nice to have some exact recipes and some that you can be flexible with. Anyhow, used the leftovers for my own personal trout salad at work today. I made it in a bento box. Heard of those? It's a Japanese lunchbox. The premise is that you deserve a nice break in the middle of your work day so why not give yourself a healthy lunch in a nice lunch box? It's a great feeling knowing you are caring for yourself and your body. And, that's the feeling I had with the trout salad today. It was a real treat and felt like a superb lunch. It was 1. quick to make 2. portable 3. pretty 4. healthy 5. unusual 6. used leftovers 8. satiating and  7. inexpensive. Really, what more could you possibly ask for in a lunch? Fantastic. I used the left over sauce from the Korean venison dish for the dressing 'cause I still had some leftover.
Oh, and on another note Inside Columbia magazine called for a story on our blog. The article should come out in November's issue.
Oh, blast it. I took photos of the  trout salad in a bento box but the bleeping camera didn't have a memory card in it and we don't have a cord for that camera. No photo to post for now. My IT man/husband will work on it tomorrow. 

Adendum from husband: There was no way to get the photos off the camera without a cord. I had to order the cord - from China. It finally came, so here are the trout salad photos.

From Cooking Wild in Missouri:
Trout and Sprout Salad
Ingredients
  • Leftover grilled or baked trout, broken into bite-sized pieces
  • Fresh spinach
  • Mixed lettuces
  • Bean sprouts
  • Cilantro
  • Green onion
  • Garlic tops (the green tops of fresh garlic) or freshly minced garlic
  • Soy sauce
  • Sesame oil
  • Rice wine vinegar
Instructions:
I tossed the trout together with all the vegetables, a little soy, toasted sesame oil and rice wine vinegar. It was perfect! You also could add such things as peanuts, mung-bean threads and avocado. Fresh orange sections, carrots, red peppers or cucumbers come to mind, as well.

2 comments:

Jennifer Moody said...

How exciting about the magazine article! I have really enjoyed this new blog. You already know I think you guys are fantastic, and this is just further proof of that!

Fred and Ann Koenig said...

Thanks, Jennifer. It's a fun project, I can tell you that! I'm really enjoying going through the book and it's also working well to focus on hunting and gathering for the recipes. I feel like it's given us an excuse to allow Fred to feel ok about spending time on something he really likes to do. Know what I mean?