Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pasta with Autumn Nut Sauce, pages 124-125

There are several recipes for pasta with nuts in the book. So far we've made penne pasta with nuts and squash, spaghetti with roasted vegies and nuts, and now pasta with autumn nut sauce. This recipe called for shell shaped pasta but while at the store I remembered how I couldn't shut the cabinet door for all the dry pasta I already had in, so I decided to go home and use what I had. Turns out upon further inspection, my pasta shelf was overfloweth with bunches of Asian noodes and just scraps of other kinds, so we ended up with a bit of an odd assortment, but that's ok. I can close the cabinet door now at least and know that I've got to get to crackin' with some Asian recipes soon, too.

We used some two dimensionally shaped green football pasta that I'm sure has a beautiful name that I am not aware of, mixed with a handful of orzo. The sauce for the recipe isn't cooked-it's just an assemblage of pecans, hickory nuts, two hard cheeses, butter, cream and a few other things I'm forgetting, likely. It's a simple dish.

I kind of liked the penne with squash recipe better, I think. Could be the fact that the pasta shape I used worked only medium well with the sauce. Could also be because I chickened out of using the amount of cream called for in the recipe. Speaking of penne with squash, that is the dish we served to the KBIA reporter. The story did air last Friday. You can hear it at http://www.kbia.org/post/clock-october-21-2011 and click on the listen button.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Worked about a half-pound of chestnuts into our pasta tonight, but they ended up tough and chewy. I'd boiled and peeled them earlier in the day and sliced them thin before sauteeing in butter for a pasta sauce. Real tough.

Do you think leaving them out like that made them get tough?

Fred and Ann Koenig said...

I'm not sure, Scott, but would suspect so. I can imagine that the texture of a reheated chestnut might be rubbery. Sorry it didn't work out. I'm not a chestnut expert but this link has some advice on cooking methods http://www.missourichestnuts.com/recipes.php . "A" for effort and better luck next time.