Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Caribbean Catfish

There are a couple things I have so little interest in that it's more like an aversion: cars and electronics. So, running by Best Buy after school to replace some blown speakers in our truck is not my favorite sort of errand. But, seeing as the appointment was only supposed to take 20 minutes, I thought I'd still have time after we got back to make Caribbean catfish. I'd bought the ingredients for it, the catfish was thawed and I was looking forward to giving it a go. Well, 2 HOURS later, the boys and I were still waiting behind the store in the stereo install bay (in case you can't picture it, imagine a place with as much ambiance as the inside of a cigarette trash can) for the stereo fellas to finish up. I have to say the Best Buy stereo guys were very good to work with. They really were. And eventually we made it home with the boys starvin' and momma starvin' too. So, I began getting the Caribean catfish made which didn't take much time especially if you cut the various 'cook this five minutes, add this and then cook 10 minutes more' to throw it all in and cook until you are reasonably sure you won't food poison the children.
The catfish dish was very nice. We didn't get the proportions on the rice to water correct somehow as it was a bit, as the boys said, 'watery'. Pouring the saucy catfish over the already 'watery' rice was a tad unfortunate. But, Fred loved the catfish dish. Honestly, I was tired enough that really wasn't able to enjoy it until the next day when I had a bit of the dish sans rice for lunch and was surprise by how tasty it was. Tomatoes and some okra were from our garden and mixed with garlic and ginger made for a fresh interesting sauce. This could be a company meal, but seemed more like comfort food for any day of the week. The boys had steak, goat cheese and toast sandwiches after since they were so hungry and the rice was, well, 'watery'. Oh, and I toasted the coconut and served in on the side as a garnish which worked well since not all of us are coconut fans.

No comments: