Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Korean Barbecued Venison, page 40

Ann here. Oh, baby we are BACK! I’ve been feeling kind of conflicted since I blogged about the lemon and pecan catfish. I am happy to say the next recipe we tried I thought was AWESOME. I used venison loin because that is all we have left (I guess I was saving the best for last. Two more pounds of loin and we’ll be clean out of venison). The meat is marinaded , then skewered and grilled and served atop a Korean style salad and rice. Fred thought it was pretty similar to the Thai venison salad we made a couple weeks ago from the book, actually. However, in the Thai dish the venison was grilled and then soaked in a fish sauce and lime marinade. In this recipe, the meat is marinaded in a brown sugar/soy sauce/ginger type sauce and then grilled. For a lot of folks, I think the Korean version would taste more like something they’ve had before. And, I mean that in a good way. Sometimes, it’s hard to appreciate something the first time you try it. We still have mint and cilantro in our garden and used that in the recipe. The dipping sauce (miso, ginger, sesame oil, etc) was intense and added to the meal. We made one pound of lion and it wasn’t nearly enough for the four of us, at least not nearly enough if the qualification is having enough for the boys to be satisfied. Each of us had two skewers. The boys would have eaten 4-6 I bet. In fact, the skewers of meat would make a great appetizer or party food all by themselves.  Thank you, Bernadette, for the wonderful meal! If you can believe this, we have ½ a pig in the freezer we just got from the butcher and I haven’t even cracked into it yet because I’m so enjoying exploring the Cooking Wild in MO book.

No comments: