Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fish from the Farm

Two weeks ago we were bemoaning the loss of summer on a chilly Saturday, but last weekend on the first weekend of fall it felt like summer was back. At the end of a quick trip to my parent’s farm we decided to get in a little fishing before we got back on the road.
We set out for the pond near the house, a mature pond that can provide bass, bluegill or catfish when the time is right. We have just about covered all the catfish recipes in the book, so today we were going for bluegill. The boys turned over some sticks and found a few worms, and I grabbed a grasshopper when I was opening the gate on the way down to the field.
I started with the grasshopper and Oliver had a nice bluegill hooked before I even had the second rod baited. I then baited the first rod with a worm, and the second with a grasshopper. It took a bit this time, but the grasshopper proved successful again.
I went to work to catch some more. There were plenty around, but most were pretty small, and in the hot afternoon sun they were also hard to catch. I learned a long time ago that the time to catch grasshoppers is in the cool of the morning when they are moving slow.
Oliver hooked a couple more fish that slipped off before he got them landed, so the demand for bait was running high. By the time we got our third fish on the bank it was time to get on the road. They were all good-sized, so I cleaned them and put them in the freezer when I got home. Hopefully soon we’ll get a chance to add a few more to the number.

No comments: