Saturday, September 17, 2011

Venison Green Chile Stew, page 39

This summer we planted 50 pounds of potatoes at my in-laws farm and harvested 200 pounds from them. Seemed  a pretty decent return to me-does any one know if that is a good rate? Anyhow, we used our own potatoes that we are storing in bread crates in the garage and cilantro from the garden that I planted about a month ago for the venison stew recipe. We made the dish on a Friday night 'cause we often go out for Mexican on Friday but on this particular chilly Friday we felt more like staying in. The recipe calls for fire roasted peppers. I managed that by cutting peppers in half and placing them directly over the flames of our gas stove-worked pretty well. The stew thickened up nicely after a couple hours. I served it with diced tomatoes and grated cheese on the side and tried to eat mine in a tortilla assuming the dish was kind of like carnitas. As a stew the potatoes made sense. Served in a tortilla I didn't need the potatoes so much.
Right now I'm bopping between venison and catfish as far as meat recipes go because that's what we have in. It's pretty fun that even though our meat selection is limited for the  Cooking Wild . . . project we still have a variety of types of recipes to choose from. For instance, last night we had a stew-y meal. Tonight I'm going to try the lemon and pecan catfish, a more dry affair. And, I bought ingredients at the farmer's market this morning for the Korean venison and spice rubbed venison loin with plums for latter in the week. Wee-ha. I'm really enjoying getting in to this book.
Ann's mom, the boys and Ann plant potatoes at Fred's parents' farm.

No comments: