Sunday, September 18, 2011

Catfish with Lemons and Pecans, and Opal's Cornbread, page 89



Hmm. What to say about these recipes? OK. I'm going to be honest. I'd like to sit down with Ms. Opal and ask if she ever had the chance to try  Jiffy cornbread. While I was at it, I'd also like to compliment Opal on her lovely name, that is if she'd have anything to do with me after the Jiffy comment. Jiffy is like half a buck per box and DE-Licious. It's not to say the cornbread didn't turn out in this recipe, but I'm kind of stuck on the sweet, Jiffy cornbread mix. It's the gold standard as far as I'm concerned. Am I burning in damnation, yet, for not appreciating from scratch corn bread? So sorry, Opal. Actually, Fred said he thought the cornbread from this recipe would go well with a sweeter dish such as ham and beans. That made sense to me.
I did use eggs in the cornbread recipe from our "urban chickens" and am including a couple photos of our eggs and chicken house.
As for the catfish, maybe I'm a bit sensitive to too much richness, but I didn't really need the lemon-butter sauce on the semi-fried catfish. Fred, who is not as adverse to the grease world as I am, thought the same thing, however. The dish is basically floured catfish fried in a bit of oil that winds up with a butter-lemon and toasted pecan sauce. Hungry, yet? But, for me I think I would have liked the fish a bit more before the sauce was poored on it. Sounds a little funny duddy, doesn't it, but the sauce wetted up a pretty, crisp frying job and added a heft I just didn't appreciate. I made this meal before an MU football game so we had to eat dinner super early and I hadn't  worked up much of an appetite before we ate. That could have a lot to do with wanting for a lighter fare. We served the cornbread and catfish with collared greens from the farmer's market. Was it good? You bet and I would have been proud to serve it to anyone. I mean, did you see the pictures!! The recipe makes for a very beautiful meal. Next time, however, I might just serve the catfish filets with a wedge of lemon and call it good.

No comments: